Monday, February 11, 2013

Some parents make me wonder

So I get it , lots of people don't celebrate certain holidays.... But to not celebrate a single freaking holiday? Um why? I try not to judge.... Scratch that Im guilty as sin but these parents def do not strike me as the type- yes I'm stereotyping! Keelie has a kid in her class- his family doesn't celebrate a single and I mean 1 single holiday. So of course the rest of the class has to accommodate this one child everytime a holiday party comes around. Now I think what bothers me even more is this child's reactions to anything holiday. I helped out in the class this week and we used leftover Christmas plates for a project . This child went off for 10 mins about these plates. I get it.... Ok I don't get it but I will try to pretend to get that they choose not to celebrate but please teach your child respect for those who still do as I will teach mine respect for your child who doesn't celebrate. I'm sure ill get a shame on you from somewhere for this!

1 comment:

  1. It's not a shame on you. It's not a set down or a how dare you. The reality is, unless you see on a daily basis what Jehovah's Witness parents go through, you can't possibly understand the frustration and trials they face. I have somehow ended up with several friends that are JWs and that's the only reason I'm not commiserating with you. Seven years ago? I would have been irritated on your behalf.
    The reality is, we consider most holidays to be non-secular but JWs believe that celebrating holidays is offensive to God. So in public schools we celebrate Easter, Halloween, Christmas, and Valentines day. Today my friends had to find daycare for their children. Any activities surrounding those holidays like making a valentine's card box? The JW kids have to go sit in the library. The educational tie ins, like Christmas word searches or singing Christmas songs? There is no replacement, just time spent in a library quietly reading while your classmates have fun. And one of my friend's kids was forced to make a mother's day card for a grade even though she has strict religious beliefs against it. Same kid, different teacher, was given a Christmas gift by her teacher, wrapped in Santa paper. It's almost a daily battle with something that shouldn't have any secular celebrations in the first place.
    The kids see things like Santa plates that they are told to use and that age group has a difficult time distinguishing between using something and being part of something that violates the beliefs their parents are teaching them.
    It's one thing if he's running his mouth about your faith being wrong, but if he's squawking because he's not comfortable with holiday symbolism, I understand.

    ReplyDelete